Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Is this normal?

Lately I've been thinking that I may be a germaphobe. I've always been a little obsessive about washing my hands, and taking showers and stuff, but I think it's getting worse. Here is a list of things that disgust me.

1. When I see that people have not washed their hands at a time that I think they should (after touching meat, using the bathroom, scratching their family jewels, blowing their nose..). When this happens I memorize everything they touch, and if I touch it after that my hands will start to sweat, and I can't think of anything but tiny little germs crawling all over me.

2. I will not eat anything that is left over. Especially once it has gone in the fridge. I don't know if this falls under the germ category, but food that was once hot, and is now cold makes me want to throw up.

3. I can't drink water out of a cup anymore. Bottled water only. It's like my mouth knows that cups, and tap water are unclean, because if I start drinking out of them I stop feeling thirsty before anything even goes down. I'm not one of those annoying people that think bottled water is so much better than tap water. My body just won't take it.

4. I hate sleeping at hotels, because I don't know for sure that the sheets have been cleaned. I also can't walk around them with bare feet, because I'm afraid I'll get other people's dead skin on me.

5. If I put lotion on when my hands are dirty it seals in the germs, and just washing my hands will no longer be good enough. 

Can this be considered a disorder? Like I might end up being one of those people who has to go to therapy every week so that I can lead a normal life. And carry around disinfecting wipes everywhere I go. I'm not to that point yet.

On a happier note, I'm loving yoga training. In my last class I learned what the mantra "OM" does for your body. Did you know that making the "mmmm" sound creates a vibration in your head that pauses all thoughts? People naturally  do this when experiencing pleasure. It puts all other brain function on hold for a second, so you can focus all senses on what you're enjoying.


Namaste!

3 comments:

Lacey Johnson said...

At first I was excited for you post because I consider myself a germaphobe but then I kept reading and yes, you're crazy :) ha ha just kidding, that's so rude. You're fine, but just be wary if you walk down the aisle at the store and a tub of sanitizing towels is more appealing to you than anything else on that row :)
I'm glad Yoga is going well. I didn't know that fact, Thanks.

Courtney J said...

I became this way after Scarlet was born because I was so paranoid about her getting sick so I would automatically monitor other people to make sure they weren't touching her if they had just scratched themselves. You're not that crazy.
Unless you want to be.

Hellobridgett said...

I know what you mean about watching other people who haven't washed there hands, but not drinking from a cup thing is a little excessive.