Thursday, April 18, 2013

Shaping the future

Today we went to toddler time at the library. It's just like the regular story time, except after the songs and stories they get out a box of toys for the kids to play with. That's the only part Grace participates in. This time she picked up one of those shape toys (the ones with the little bucket with the lid that has holes, and you have to put the little shape toys in the right shaped hole). She found a spot on the floor and started playing with it. I think this was her first experience with this kind of thing, because she didn't really know what to do with it. After a few minutes a baby crawled over, and put all the shapes in the right holes for her. We felt like super idiots after that, so we left, and drove to Walmart to get her one of her own. We've been working on it off and on for about 2 hours now. I've always thought Grace was super smart. Like smarter than all the other kids her age that we know. Ya know, just like every parent thinks. Now I'm starting to reconsider. I don't know how many times I've gone over all the shapes with her, and how to match them to the right hole. Probably a million. I don't even think she's paying attention. She waits until I'm done explaining, and then she just hits the box with the shape as hard as she can. Then when that gets old she starts hitting herself in the head with the shape. Is this normal behavior for a two year old? I gave up for a while, so Jeff is in her room practicing with her now. I think his voice is getting louder and louder every few minutes. It's like when you talk to someone who doesn't speak english, and somehow you think if you speak louder they will understand you. I'm glad that Grace got some good looks, because now I'm questioning if she got any brains. I will have to be more weary of the activities we attend with the smart babies, so we don't make ourselves look like idiots again.

3 comments:

happybritton said...

Dead. I'm dead now. I just died from laughter. This made my belly shake like a bowl fully of jelly. And then the picture at the end! Perfect.

Christy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Stacie Hogan said...

Lol oh I died too. I can so relate. There are so many times where I think jax is just clueless but then when i see him attempt to get something out of the cupboard by pushing stuff against the counter to get it, i know he has problem solving skills. Kids are probably just thinking "what is the point of me putting those stupid shapes in the box? Where is my cookie?". Another reason why I love your blog, I can sooooo relate. Especially with our kids being so close in age :)