Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Sorry Dead Grandma

A few months ago Jeff's Step-Grandma died. She was living in California with Jeff's Dad and Step-mom at the time, so we decided to take the bereavement that Jeff's work offers, and drive down for the funeral. We really didn't know her at all. I hadn't even met her. But we had been wanting to take a trip to California for a while, and this was a good excuse. Sorry Grandma. So we drove down during the night, and got there early the day before the funeral. Jeff's Step-Mom was planning the whole thing, and we were staying at their house, so saying that we were in the way is an understatement. Grace was, of course, running around grabbing everything off of shelves, getting into the fridge, scattering life insurance papers, and screaming a lot. I was pretty embarrassed since this was my first time meeting Jeff's family (besides his Dad). We tried to keep out of the way as much as we could. The day of the funeral arrived, and Grace was still being extra naughty. I think lack of sleep, and her normal routine was wreaking havoc on her. We got to the church, and they were behind schedule, so Grace ran around the halls hiding from me, and screaming for about an hour. Finally they said it was time to start, and brought all the family into the viewing room for a prayer before the funeral started. This is when Grace really outdid herself. I swear I've taught her to fold her arms and close her eyes for prayers, but that day she thought it would be funny to run away from me. I let her go at first, thinking she'd come back when I didn't chase her, but she was looking back at me and laughing hysterically, so I got up to get her. She really thought this was hilarious, so she started running again, laughing the whole time. I'm chasing her down the aisle of chairs, everyone is staring at us, and she runs behind the casket. She actually bumped into it, and I saw it rock a little bit. While Jeff's whole family watched, I chased Grace around the casket, and out the back door. And to top it all off, I was so mortified at the whole situation that my first instinct was to laugh. So while I was chasing her out from behind the dead lady, and everyone was watching, I was laughing. The end.

No comments: