Tuesday, December 11, 2012

A Christmas Emergency

I'm starting to panic about Santa. At what age do you start teaching your kids about Santa? Like how long can I go without it? I'm really bad at telling lies. It's almost painful for me. I actually perfer the awkwardness of the truth. Always. What if my kids catch me in the lie? How much time are we going to spend on something, every Christmas, that's totally made up? It seems so wrong. I don't want my kids to be those weirdo's at school who don't participate in regular traditions, but Santa is just so much work. I want my kids to understand the real reason we celebrate Christmas. Not just some made up story to keep them behaving all year round. And I want all the credit for the presents they get each year. Is there some alternative? Would it be weird to tell them that Santa fills our stockings, and that's it? Will they get confused when they talk to other kids about Santa? Help me.


3 comments:

Stacie Hogan said...

I kind of just avoided it and let my kids pick up pn the whole Santa idea themselves. Then when they asked about Santa, no matter what I said I just remembered that I am Santa and made all references that way. That way it didn't seem like such a lie ya know? And at our house Santa only does stockings so no it's not weird :)

Lacey Johnson said...

Travis's family has a great method that works for us. When their kids asked about Santa Claus their parents told them, "As long as you believe in Santa Claus, he'll bring you presents." Then each year most the presents are from mom, dad, siblings, and then there are specially marked ones from Santa. Then it's not a lie. When the kids decided they didn't believe anymore then they just stopped putting his name... however the kids all 'believe' because they get more presents. Then mom and dad still get credit as well.
And if you don't like the games like leaving cookies and milk out that night, you could always start a tradition like reading the Story of Christ's birth Christmas eve night, or a book that focus's on the true meaning. But then you're not lying,or running into problems with them and other kids talking... and you can always tell them when they say that their friends don't believe, that it's their choice and everyone has a choice... Just a thought. I'm sure Grace and your other children will love the holidays no matter what

Josh said...

I feel like if I ever have kids, I will be in this same predicament. I cannot lie. Like, I'm really bad at it. And I don't see a great reason for it...but ya, I see your problem with you know, the rest of the world. So, once again, I have come to the conclusion that it is best not to procreate...Merry Christmas!