Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Sleep deprivation and Dr. appointments

Thanks for all your advice on getting Grace to sleep. We've tried pretty much everything with no luck so far. The last few days we've made her a bed on her floor that we can lay on with her till she falls asleep, and that works for a couple hours, but that's about it. Lots of people have suggested letting her sleep in bed with us, which seems like the logical thing to do. We do end up doing that most of the night, but I can't sleep that way. My stomach is way too sensitive, and she kicks me all night, and wakes up 5 times as often to eat. Normally I would just tough it out, but we are all sleep deprived, I'm getting sicker, and it's ruining our days. We need to figure something out that will allow us all to sleep in our own beds. Tonight we're trying lavender oil and ear plugs. I know, that probably sounds awful, but it's been two weeks now, and I'm desperate. I've noticed that sleep makes a huge difference in my morning sickness, and I need to feel better, so I can take care of Grace during the day.
Yesterday I had my first doctor's appointment. I've decided to go a different route with this pregnancy. Although I still think that a home birth is the safest, and least traumatic for the baby. I didn't like the experience I had last time. I'm mostly to blame for doing nothing to prepare for pain management. With my labor going so quickly the pain was intense with no breaks in between contractions. I felt traumatized afterwards, and felt no connection with my baby for at least a few hours. This time I am going to try something different, and deliver at Orem Community. I've heard so many good things about them. That's where my sister delivered Natalie, and she loved it. I've also heard that they're really good about sticking to your birth plan, and not trying to force you to do things their way. I interviewed the nurse midwives, and asked all of my important questions. My plan is to go into labor naturally. Hopefully my water will break to start it off like it did with Grace. I want to do everything I can to avoid pitocin. I'll have an epidural, and if everything goes like I hope it does, my labor will go quickly. Last time it was about 4 1/2 hours. I've decided to do it this way, so I can be more excited for the birth, and be more present for the experience. I want to enjoy it this time, and think back on it with good memories. I trust that the nurse midwives will do everything they can to make sure the baby is safe and happy. I may try something else for the next one, but I'm going to experiment till I find what works best for me.

1 comment:

Lacey Johnson said...

My sister-in-law, Larisa, delivered at Orem and had a wonderful staff and a very safe routine. You will do great! I think you'll notice how much more enjoyable it is with an epidural and there's nothing wrong with getting one. I'm so glad I did, especially when my tailbone snapped during a push...
... as for sleep, Maddix was an excellent sleeper until one day he just stopped sleeping; at all, and I thought it was going to ruin our lives, but we got this book What to Expect When You're Expecting and it saved the sanity of our family. After a solid month of up all nighters it only took one week of following the book for him to adjust.
You may be against this, but you just have to let him cry it out. You can go in if you need and say, "we here you, but you're fine. Goodnight." But you don't give them the binki if they spit it out, don't do anything but let them know you here them or else they know they can get you. Anyway, the book is great, I won't write it all about, but if you're interested just let me know. Good luck! And sorry about the morning sickness. I always found keeping a bag of saltines next to the bed that I could instantly snack on when I woke up curbed mine. Love ya!
-Lacey