Thursday, April 12, 2012

Have you had your flu shot?

Lately we've had the subject of vaccinations come up more than usual. Family and friends want to know how our regular checkups with the pediatrician are going, and what vaccinations Grace has had. People with babies her age want to know what percentile she's in, and what her doctor has to say about her eating habits, sleeping habits, weight, and when I should stop breast feeding. Jeff and I try to avoid these topics, because people aren't very accepting of our answers. Grace has not had any vaccinations. In fact, the only needle stick she has ever had was her PKU at 2 weeks. I don't know what percentile she is in, and the only visits she has had with her pediatrician were when she had a bad cough at a few weeks old, and a couple months ago when she burned herself on my flat iron. I don't need an opinion on her sleeping and eating habits, and I will stop breast feeding her when I feel like she's ready. When people hear this they think we are neglectful or ignorant. Usually they are polite, and just give us a weird look, and then don't bring it up again. Sometimes they argue, and try to educate us on the importance of regular checkups and vaccinations. What is sad is that these same people never have any information beyond their doctor's recommendation. They don't know what's in vaccines, and what these chemicals do. They don't know what the FDA has to say about them. The fact is vaccinations do more harm than good, growth charts are not an accurate basis for measuring your child's proper growth, and nobody can recognize a child's needs better than their parents. People need to educate themselves on these topics. Doctors have a very important place in society, and I'm thankful for them, and the amazing things they can do, but my place in society is to be a mom, and decide what's best for my children. I give careful thought and consideration to what I subject Grace to. If you want to talk to me about my health practices then do your research. Don't blindly follow the advice of a doctor who's making hundreds of thousands of dollars a year off of your well baby visits.
More importantly, I made my first Etsy sale today and sold a $25 sewing table for $120. Holla!


5 comments:

Ashley Lyons said...

Congrats on the etsy sale! And that totally is a pet peeve of mine. I think it's awesome that you are doing what YOU think is right for your children and people should just respect that and respect other peoples opinions because freak if they dont have their own. You guys are the best and Grace is perfect!

Krista said...

Megan, I personally love your post and views and couldn't agree with you more!!! Keep doing your research and doing what you know is best for you and your family!!!=)

Katie said...

For starters...I'm glad we're now friends on facebook and that you posted the fact that you have a blog so I can see it. I think your style of writing is awesome. Second, I love that you're making money off of sewing tables. You rock and should teach me how to do these cool things so I can make money too! And lastly, it's obvious to me that you are a great mom to Grace and that she is well taken care of. Percentiles and eating/sleeping habits were never important a 100 years ago and lots of people survived with out all that. You're a cute mom and she is darling. Good for you for standing up for what you feel is right!!

Unknown said...

First off I am glad to hear that I am not the only one who does not get my child immunizations! I am right there with you where I feel that they are more harmful than helpful and that many mothers these days just take the doctors word for it. I don't think you are neglectful at all! More like very intuitive if you ask me! Also I hate when people tell you how to raise your children. Its your child you have every right to raise her the way you feel is best! Kudos to you! keep doing what you are doing, ignore what others say. Even though it may be hard at times! I think it sound like you are doing a great job! Grace is very lucky!

Hellobridgett said...

I respect your opinion about doing research on what is the best for your child. More people should look into things before making huge decisions like these. I too have done a lot of research on vaccinations (and know enough people who have gotten VERY sick because they didn't have vaccinations) to convince me otherwise, though.

I think it is great that you are still breastfeeding (if you still are). I went past the almost controversial 1 year mark and everything was fine. But as soon as I stopped, it seemed like Phoebe started getting every little cold that came around. If I could go back, I'd probably breastfeed longer.

One thing I am confused about though is why you wouldn't want to take your daughter to well-child exams. They have been SO helpful for me to take Phoebe to them. If you have insurance, it should be paid for 100% by the insurance company. (it's kind of like sticking it to the man. I'm kidding) Growth charts are kind of annoying and shouldn't be too stressed, but if something is WAY off it can warn you know of a potentially serious problem.

I hope my opinion didn't offend you or anything, these are just my thoughts on the matter.